13 Garden Fun Facts (with little to no explanation)
It's fun knowing what's in your garden and how to properly care for it. But it's also fun knowing useless information that will only ever be needed during some kind of trivia game. Here are 13 fun facts about your garden with little to no explanation.
1. Tomato juice(!) is the official state beverage of Ohio
2. There are at least 10,000 varieties of tomatoes
3. The bumps on raspberries are called "drupelets"
4. Broccoli is actually a flower
5. Apples are 25% air
6. Apple, potatoes and onions have the same taste. Eat them with your nose closed
7. Carrots were originally purple in color
8. A sunflower is not just one flower. Each head contains thousands of smaller flowers
9. Plants really do respond to sound
10. During the 1600s, tulips were so valuable in Holland their bulbs were worth more than gold
11. Small pockets of air inside cranberries cause them to bounce, and float in water
12. Dandelions were used as a food source and as a medicine for at least 1,000 years
13. An average size tree can provide enough wood to make 170,100 pencils